Beginner / Play Tennis
The aim of the course
The aim of the Play Tennis course is to help participants understand how to organise and deliver a tennis session and other tennis activities to beginner level players of all ages.
After the course the coach will be able to work with beginner adult players (ITN 10) and 10 and under children and will have knowledge of basic tactics and technique. The coach will be able to organise simple competitions and use correct equipment and court sizes for beginner players.
At the end of the course, participants will be assessed through a short-written paper covering the key information from the course. As well as a playing ability assessment.
From January 2014, the Play Tennis course is a pre-requisite for the ITF Coaching Beginner and Improver players course.
During the Course:
1. Personal Attributes
2. Playing Ability Assessment
3. Written Exam (30 Point Multiple Choice)
4. Mock Exam (Practical Group Lesson)
Assessments to be submitted AFTER completing 30 practical hours at a TSA Approved Centre of
a. Arrive at the CAP with your file.
b. File should include: Completed session planners with different lessons (Themes), Blank session planners, Log-book & assessment sheet copies for feedback.
c. Be on time to assist with preparing the courts, nets, cones, etc.
2. Timeline for submission is 3 months after completing the TSA Play Tennis Course.
3. Complete Logbook with hours.
4. Complete min of 30 logbook ‘Lesson Reports’
5. If Candidate is not within 100km radius of a registered TSA Centre of Apprenticeship the candidate will be allowed to: a. Complete minimum 15 practical hours at a TSA Centre of Apprenticeship and
b. Submit 30 completed session planners
6. Include snapshot reel—take a photo of every session recorded in logbook.
7. Submit 1 X 5min Physical Warm-Up for starter players (show ABCs)
8. Submit 2 X 20 min Group Lessons on Red Courts (Coach must use a minimum 3)
players, can use more than one court)
9. It should be done via a video recording. Even Smartphone or iPhone will be in
order, subject to a. Full court being visible (from an elevated position)
b. That the sound is clear on the video
c. That the timer is clearly displayed as the time allocated per assessment is 20 minutes
10. Compress all Videos. Use video compress application or any other to compress. Please make sure quality of video is good before sharing.