National Teams: Selectors & criteria
The Selection Criteria Framework (SCF) is a TSA Board approved protocol that forms the basis of TSA junior team selections. To this end, all officially appointed selectors are compelled to sign and confirm their commitment and adherence to this framework. It is expected that amendments and improvements may be added to this SCF over time.
National Junior Selectors:
In September 2017, TSA unveiled its new panel of five selectors responsible for the selection of junior national teams. The new panel consists of:
- MC Olivier (Free State).
- Rowena Sanders (KZN).
- Patrick Tsunke (Gauteng East).
- Gerrie Dippenaar (Gauteng North).
- Jason Smit (Western Province).
Meanwhile, Jakkie Burger, has been appointed as TSA’s first ever talent scout, with the role of identifying young talent in the schools system.
The initial term of the selection panel commences with immediate effect and runs until the end of March 2019 (which is aligned to the end of the TSA financial year). The panel will be convened by the new TSA head of high performance and juniors - once appointed.
Each selector has commented as follows on his or her appointment:
- MC Olivier: "I am very grateful for the opportunity presented by TSA to be part of the selectors for junior teams and feel that I can make a difference by identifying and selecting the right players to represent our country and thereby awaken the sleeping giant that is South African tennis."
- Rowena Sanders: “Selection has always been a passion of mine ….to seek out the talented dedicated players, to give them opportunity to gain valuable experience, to grow as players and hopefully to develop into world class players.”
- Patrick Tsunke: “The reason for me wanting to be a selector is because of my love of the game. A well monitored system must be put in place to track our players development and advise both parents and the academies on the optimum pathway for each player.”
- Gerrie Dippenaar: “I have a broad national and international perspective due to 34 years of tennis experience. I'm very passionate about our juniors and believe the future of SA tennis is bright. It has always been my sincere dream to be part of identifying and selecting the right players for national teams. I'm confident that I can play a positive role in this regard.”
- Jason Smit: "I want to help and make sure we pick our best Juniors for all our teams. I want to bring consistency (to selection) and make sure we are all on the same page when picking sides."