Beginner / Play Tennis
The aim of the course
The aim of the Play Tennis course is to help participants understand how to organise and deliver a tennis session and other tennis activities to beginner level players of all ages.
After the course the coach will be able to work with beginner adult players (ITN 10) and 10 and under children and will have knowledge of basic tactics and technique. The coach will be able to organise simple competitions and use correct equipment and court sizes for beginner players.
At the end of the course, participants will be assessed through a short-written paper covering the key information from the course. As well as a playing ability assessment.
From January 2014, the Play Tennis course is a pre-requisite for the ITF Coaching Beginner and Improver players course.
- Candidates must complete the following Safeguarding of Athletes course and submit PDF certificate:
2. FORMAL ASESSMENTS:
- DURING THE 4 DAY Course (Assessments on the final day of the course):
2.1 Playing ability assessment test
2.2 Written Exam - 30 Multiple choice questions
2.3 Practical 20 min Lesson Assessment
- AFTER THE COURSE:
2.3 completing 30 practical hours at a TSA Approved Centre of Apprenticeship
- Arrive at the CAP with your
- File should include: Completed session planners with different lessons (Themes), Blank session planners, Log-book & assessment sheet copies for feedback.
- Be on time to assist with preparing the courts, nets, cones,
2.4 Coach will be required to work at a minimum of 1 Rainbow Kidz Matchplay Mania event.
- Matchplay mania – assisting by setting up the courts, convening and match scoring the matches and assisting with prize giving.
Timeline for submission is 3 months after completing the TSA Play Tennis
Candidates not meeting the deadline will be required to attend the next course again.
- Complete Logbook and ‘Lesson Reports’ with
- Complete CAP report giving brief feedback on how you found your CAP Centre’s
- Submit 1 X 5 min Video demonstrating 3 ABCss exercises with starter players
NOTE: If Candidate is not within 100km radius of a registered TSA Centre of Apprenticeship the candidate will be allowed to:
Complete minimum 15 practical hours at a TSA Centre of Apprenticeship and CAP report;
Submit 30 completed session planners;
Compress all Videos. Use video compress application or any other to compress. Please make sure quality of video is good before
Once all documents are received TSA coaching department will inform the coach if a retake lesson is required
If Not Yet Competent: Submit 1 X 20 min Group Lessons on RED court (Coach must use a minimum 3 players (children red court level). May use than one court)
- It should be done via a video recording. Even Smartphone or iPhone will be in order, subject to
- Full court being visible (from an elevated position)
- That the sound is clear on the video
- That the timer is clearly displayed as the time allocated per assessment is
Options to share documents: